whswhs (whswhs) wrote,

"not clear on the concept"

A little earlier tonight, I sat down to print out tax forms in preparation for figuring my 2018 taxes. I found a page that listed forms. It said that there was a new, shorter version of the 1040, which took the place of the 1040A and the 1040EZ (not that I've ever used those!). And then there were lines on it to enter more information, copied over from other forms, identified as Schedules 1-6.

Okay, I said, and went and looked at Schedule 1, where virtually all my income would go, and at Schedule 4, where my self-employment tax would go. And I found that each of them required filling out other schedules to actually describe the things I was reporting; these were just summary sheets. I still have to fill out the old lettered schedules to report the actual income or taxes.

For example, instead of filling out a Schedule C for business income, and copying the net profit or loss to form 1040, I fill out a Schedule C for business income, and copy the net profit or loss to Schedule 1, and then copy the total from Schedule 1 to form 1040.

Because, you see, the IRS has decided to make filing taxes simpler. . . .

(I'm thinking of Ronald Reagan's sarcastic line, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help.")
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.